There’s no doubt that 2011 was probably the most challenging year that many of us can remember in our professional lives. A New Year gives an opportunity to reflect back on what went well and what didn’t and how that learning and insight can be applied in the year ahead. It was interesting to see Sir Richard Branson do exactly this in a recent article in Entrepreneur.
For us, 2011 was about figuring out what we were passionate about and how we could make a difference and, most importantly, turning this into a viable business. The many client discussions that we have had since we launched bold_hr in September have reinforced that there is a real demand for a simpler and more straightforward approach to how people relate to organisations and how organisations relate to their people. There is no doubt that the issue of ‘employee engagement’ is the most critical for HR as businesses look to maximise their opportunities in 2012.
Sir Richard argues that bringing together a great team united by strong motivation and determination is the most important factor for any business. We love his practical and commonsense top ‘people’ tips:
1. Find good people Especially leaders with the character to make tough decisions and the passion and ability to inspire their staff and carry them through difficult times.
2. Realise that your employees are the business A successful business isn't the product or service it sells, its supply chain or its corporate culture - it is a group of people bound together by a common purpose and vision.
3. Always look for the best in your people and lavish praise on them Rather than focusing on mistakes, catch someone doing something right every day.
4. Don't take yourself too seriously as a leader Keeping a sense of perspective and not allowing management to be seen as aloof will help keep your staff onside.
5. Just do it! Encouraging bravery and resolve to get things done and to overcome difficulties when things get tough
We at bold_hr go into 2012 with a clear vision and passion for how we can make a difference for our clients and with relationships in place with some remarkable partners who share our values.
The year ahead will undoubtedly present many challenges. But it will also present remarkable opportunities and we intend to grab them.
03 January 2012